Hawaii Car Rental Pickup
All you need to know about picking up your rental car in Hawaii
Heading on a Hawaiian vacation?
Below we go over all the items required for picking up the rental car. Whether you’re arriving by plane, cruise or you just want a rental for one day, we have all the details below.
Arriving By Plane
When arriving in Hawaii by plane, it is best to pick up your car rental at the same time. Car rates are genuinely lower at the airport, with more companies and products to choose from. This will save on taxi / shuttle fees, getting to or from your accommodation. Some don’t want to drive right away after a long flight, that is understandable, however, there will be extra taxi / shuttle costs.
Most off airport locations have higher base rates, therefore the overall total is higher (even with less airport fees). You will have to get to these off airport offices, they will NOT send a free shuttle to the airport. There are some exceptions to this rule, like Dollar and Thrifty at HNL and Enterprise, Alamo, Budget and Avis at JHM airport. These offices have a free airport shuttle, but their actual office is located off airport grounds, therefore no airport fee.
Once you arrive, get your luggage and head outside to the designated area for car company shuttles. Don’t go to the company’s kiosk counters in the airport, no need to line up twice.
Arriving By Cruise Ship
If arriving by cruise ship, we have companies with free shuttles to each port. Again best to speak with one of our agents to ensure you are booked with a cruise port company.
Skip The Lineup
To skip the car rental lineups, some customers want to add their loyalty number to a reservation. Only a couple of companies allow that with our discounted rates, and this must be done prior to pickup date. Speak with our staff about this as soon as your rental is reserved.
Another way to get your rental faster, is send the main driver directly to the car company, while others collect your luggage.
Catch that company’s shuttle (Do not look for a Discount Hawaii Car Rental shuttle)
In order to have a smooth process, have the following ready for your car rental pickup:
Car company name
Be sure you know which company/logo to proceed to.
Car rental confirmation number
This is the car company’s confirmation number, that we will supply when the rental is made.
Current valid Driver’s License in the name of the renter.
International travelers must have a valid driver’s license from their country of residence. International Drivers Licenses are only accepted if the car company approves. Bring your passport as well.
Form of payment
Have your form of payment, major credit card or a debit card attached to a bank, with a Visa or Mastercard logo on it (Debit cards are subject to credit checks)
The car company will hold the amount of the car rental total, plus a deposit (incidental charge). The deposit will be returned to you at the end of the rental period.
Additional drivers must be present with the main driver and added to your car rental contract.
Discount Hawaii Car Rental guarantees the base rate and fees, while taxes by the State of Hawaii are subject to change. There are added costs if you add any optional services at the counter.
- Child seats: Hawaii law requires all children under 8 years of age use a child seat – extra fee
- Pre-paid fuel packages: Full tank at pickup, return empty – extra fee
- GPS Navigation devices: Extra fee
- Additional drivers: not included in our benefits package – extra fee
- Insurance: Extra fee*
* Customers should review their own vehicle insurance, auto club or credit card coverage. You can pre-purchase third party coverage through our website, which must be done 24 hours prior to pickup or purchase insurance packages directly from the car company, where rates are subject to change.
Time to Hit the Road
Once you have signed all papers and are ready to ‘hit the road’, you may want to ask a few questions:
- Get any free maps or map books
- Ask where the closest gas station is, to fill up before return
- Ask directions to your accommodation
- Ask their favorite island spots, like beaches, shopping and restaurants
If you need to return early or extend your booking, deal directly with the car company. They may charge early restocking fees to return more than 24 hours early. If you need to extend, call the car company and ask them to extend at your same rate.
If you want to return to another location, there will be a one-way drop fee to do this.
Rental Car Drop-off
Tips for rental car drop off:
- Fuel up within 10 miles of car office (keep gas receipt, they may want to see it)
- If the vehicle is extremely dirty or has sand inside, best to vacuum and clean vehicle before returning it (they will charge you extra if very dirty)
- If you have any damage to the vehicle, you need to report it immediately and not when you return the rental
Give yourself plenty of time on your last day. Time to gas up, get the vehicle returned, signed in and take the shuttle back to the terminal. You don’t want to rush or miss your flight!